Garlic Butternut Bisque Recipe
With its pleasant squash and garlic flavor and golden-orange color, this rich and creamy soup is sure to be a hit whether you serve it for an everyday meal or a holiday dinner. -Della Clarke Vista, California
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 8 cups)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, divded
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off bulbs; brush with oil. Wrap each in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the onions carrots and celery in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Add the squash, broth and 2 tablespoons sage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; mash with a fork. Stir into squash mixture. Cool slightly. Puree squash mixture in batches in a blender; return to pan. Stir in 1/2 cup cream, salt and pepper and remaining butter; heat through. Garnish with remaining cream and sage. Yield: 9 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Garlic Butternut Bisque in Taste of Home August/September 2004, p30
Reviews for Garlic Butternut Bisque(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2011
This is an excellent bisque recipe. I highly recommend it. I have made it for my family as well as given it for gifts. Excellent reviews every time. Simply delicious .. thank you.
Reviewed Mar. 3, 2010
I have made this a number of times and enjoy it everytime.