Garlic Bread Salad
Talk about an on-the-go bite or easy-to-fix side dish! When time’s at a premium, try this fresh and fabulous salad you can eat with your hands. It’s a longtime lunch specialty of Maria McMartin in Burlington, Wisconsin.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 French bread baguette (about 8 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup torn romaine
- 3 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut baguette lengthwise in half; cut each half into two pieces. In a
- small bowl, combine the butter, tomatoes, pesto and garlic. Spread
- over cut sides of bread. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly. Meanwhile, toss romaine and salad dressing; divide
- among bread slices. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 pieces (prepared with reduced-fat butter and fat-free dressing) equals 376 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 843 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.