Garlic-Basil Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 can (19 ounces) white kidney beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, water, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in tortellini. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 3 minutes or until tortellini begins to float. Stir in beans and vinegar; heat through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups soup with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese) equals 284 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 953 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.