Garlic Basil Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes (about 5 pounds)
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt, pepper and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Serve over spaghetti. Yield: 8 servings.
1/8 recipe equals 314 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.