Garlic Au Gratin Tomatoes
You'll likely reach for this recipe when you have a bumper crop of tomatoes. The distinctive taste of garlic nicely enhances sweet juicy tomatoes.Dorothy Pritchett, Wills Point, Texas
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Cut a thin slice from the top of each tomato. Scoop out the pulp,
- leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to
- Meanwhile, in a bowl,combine crumbs, garlic, cheese, parsley, salt
- and pepper. Stuff tomatoes; place in a greased shallow baking dish.
- Drizzle with oil. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or
- until stuffing is lightly browned. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Editor's Note: To make appetizers, stuff 48 cherry tomatoes with crumb mixture; bake for 8-10 minutes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 211 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 401 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.