Garlic and Swiss Cheese Bread Recipe
Not only is this hearty whole wheat loaf filled with plenty of wonderful garlic and Swiss cheese flavor, the "holes" that appear when baking make it look just like a wedge of Swiss cheese!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups warm milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 block (6 ounces) Swiss cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, potato flakes, yeast and salt. Add milk and butter; beat for 2 minutes. Add eggs and garlic; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; knead 2 minutes longer or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape each half into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheets; flatten to 7-in. diameter. With a sharp knife, make three parallel slashes about 1/2 in. deep on the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 385 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC