- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 8 medium), peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper or paprika, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves) and the shallot. Cut tops off of garlic bulb and shallot; brush with oil. Wrap each in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; place in a large bowl.
- Squeeze softened garlic into bowl. Finely chop shallot; add to potatoes. Add the milk, butter, cream cheese, salt and pepper; mash potatoes. Sprinkle with cayenne if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Garlic and Shallot Mashed Potatoes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p240
Reviews for Garlic and Shallot Mashed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Mashed Potato Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- New Year's Side Dish Recipes >