Garden Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 small head cabbage (about 1 pound), chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 medium tomato or 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 10 servings (about 3 quarts).
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with low-sodium chicken broth and without added salt) equals 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch; also, 64 calories, 39 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 15 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 1 gm fat.