- 1 small head cabbage (about 1 pound), chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 medium tomato or 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 10 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Garden Vegetable Soup
Sort By :
"This is a good soup for lunches during the winter while my kids are at school. I thought it was a little plain, so I would add some red pepper flakes for a little heat and some minced garlic instead of garlic powder. I'd also add some zucchini or summer squash and maybe some carrots next time and cut back on the peppers, just for a little variety of flavors."