“Cooking with vegetables seems quick and healthy. This meatless soup makes a great dinner with a salad or slice of bread.” Jennifer Black - San Jose, California
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Dash pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- In a large saucepan, cook garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir in rice; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the broth, peppers, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in zucchini and tomatoes; cook for 3 minutes. Cool. Transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To serve immediately, cook soup 3-5 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Garden Vegetable Soup in Simple & Delicious September/October 2008, p45
Reviews for Garden Vegetable Rice Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 18, 2011
"Very delicious. I made exactly except I used one can of petite diced tomatoes for the fresh since I did not have that many tomatoes on hand."