- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup each diced potato, celery, cauliflower, carrot and broccoli
- 3 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add the vegetables, water, bouillon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add parsley. Just before serving, stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Garden Vegetable Chowder
"This soup is so delicious...only thing I did different for me is I roasted the broccoli and the cauliflower in the oven on a cookie sheet for about half an hour while the rest of the soup was cooking. Also added a little minced garlic to the sauteing veggies. Will make this again and again. Also served the cheese on the side....it really doesn't need it ..."
"First time I made this exactly like the recipe - found it bland. Second time I added Cajun seasoning & hot sauce, much better."
"Very good. I used less cheese though and very sadly did not have any broccoli. But it still was wonderful. I also added some Italian sausage to the hubby's bowl and he loved this."
"I used 2 cups of cheese rather than 3. Delicious!"
"Just made this last night. It was good, but I can't say it was the best...I'd add cheese gradually to see how much you want. I added it all at once and thought it was way too cheesy (and I adore cheese!)I also added chicken since I had it thawed out. It was yummy, just less cheese for me!"
"Yum this is really good chowder. I used fat free milk and 2% cheese. The rest I left exactly the same. It turned out perfect, nice thick and creamy. Good amount of cheese. Even my 4 year old son scarfed down 2 bowls."
"We loved this! Our 18 month old finished her bowl and asked for more two times! With all the veggies, I was happy to give it to her."
"It is the BEST chowder recipe I have ever had. We eat it a lot every winter season."
"I have made this recipe several times now and OMG!!!! The best soup ever! Thick and chocked full of flavor. Serve it up with some crackers and your belly will be pleased!"