- 1/2 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2/3 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Garden Vegetable Bread
"The flavour is great but the mixture was way too wet. I will try it a few more times and adjust the water/flour/yeast amounts to see if I can make it work. It was too runny and was sticking to the sides of the pan during mixing. I had to add a lot more flour and ended up with a brick that had a delicious, crunchy crust. Reminds me of Veggie Thins crackers. Even though the loaf is very dense, I like the way it toasts."
"This bread is delicious. The red pepper flavour overwhelms the other veggies, although that is not necessarily a bad thing. I added extra zucchini, and green onions. I used parmesan cheese, I might add more than 2 tbsp next time though. Fantastic way to use up zucchini- fresh or frozen."
"I joined the site just to review this bread. I've made it twice so far and it is excellent! I tweaked it a little to suit my needs...more veggies, applesauce instead of oil, used a cup of whole wheat flour and threw in some flaxmeal. No amount of tweaking has caused any problems! The loaf has been beautiful each time. My three year old gobbles it plain."