Garden Vegetable Bake Recipe
With every spoonful of this vegetable bake, I drift back to a simpler time in my mom’s garden. We weren’t allowed in it unless she was with us, filling her basket with ripe tomatoes, pea pods, carrots, green onions and herbs. —Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Dash each white pepper and ground nutmeg
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup each shredded Parmesan and Romano cheeses
- 1. Place the carrots, lima beans and green beans in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender, adding the cauliflower, broccoli, corn and peas during the last 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in onion.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, parsley and seasonings; cook and stir until blended.
- 3. Pour sauce over vegetables; gently toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan and Romano cheeses; sprinkle over vegetable mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 540 calories, 35 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 829 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Garden Vegetable Bake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC