Garden Vegetable & Chicken Skillet Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the chicken, squash, onion and carrot in butter for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; drain. Add the spinach, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in rice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in lemon juice. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 355 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 453 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 38 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Garden Vegetable & Chicken Skillet
"OMG this was soooo good I used chicken broth instead of water yummmm"
"My husband and I were very skeptical because putting this together it didn't look very good. But it was delicious and my husband doesn't even care for squash. It was a little runny so maybe next time I would add less water, and maybe try the chicken broth like the other person did. Always a success when I can get him to eat veggies and he gives the okay I can make it again!"
"Very tasty! I changed the 1 cup water to 1 cup Chicken broth plus 1/2 cup water!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.