Garden Twists Recipe
- 2 medium carrots
- 2-1/4 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. Using a vegetable peeler, slice carrots into curls. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the carrots, onion, pepper, basil, garlic powder and pepper flakes in butter for 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Combine the cornstarch, water and bouillon until smooth; add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain pasta. Stir pasta and lemon juice into vegetable mixture. Yield: 7 servings.
2/3 cup: 176 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.