Garden Turkey Burgers
These moist burgers get plenty of color and flavor from onion, zucchini and red pepper. I often make the mixture ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator. Later, after helping my husband with farm chores, I can put the burgers on the grill while whipping up a salad or side dish. —Sandy Kitzmiller, Unityville, Pennsylvania
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble turkey
- over mixture and mix well. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub
- on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill burgers, covered, over medium
- heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or
- until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Serve on
- buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 burger (prepared with lean ground turkey and without salt; calculated without the bun) equals 188 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.