Garden Tossed Salad
My Italian grandma grew all of her produce in her backyard garden, so many of her recipes made good use of her bountiful fresh vegetables. This salad is refreshing with any main course and one of our favorites because of the flavors of my Italian heritage.
-Rosalie Rizzolo-Wright, San Jose, California
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- In a large salad bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a jar
- with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic
- powder, salt and pepper; shake well. Drizzle over salad; toss to
- coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 82 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 24 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.