Garden Tomato Soup Recipe
Meet the Cook: "Delicious" and "filling" are the words friends I've served this soup to use to describe it. Alone, it makes for a tasty lunch...or you can have it with a sandwich or crackers. Like an even heartier soup? Simply cube some of your leftover cooked chicken or roast and add. I've long enjoyed trying new recipes on my husband. He's a former agriculture minister of Saskatchewan...and my taste tester of 52 years! We have four grown sons and 11 grandchildren. -Frances McFarlane, Winnipeg, Manitoba
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 4 cups chopped peeled tomatoes (about 7 medium)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion, carrot and green pepper in butter until tender. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, sugar, curry, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 2. In small bowl, stir flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into tomato mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Yield: 6 servings (1-3/4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 144 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 1,004 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC