Garden Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 4 cups chopped peeled tomatoes (about 7 medium)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion, carrot and green pepper in butter until tender. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, sugar, curry, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- In small bowl, stir flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into tomato mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Yield: 6 servings (1-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Garden Tomato Soup(4)
Sort By :
So good! I did make a few changes, I added about a tbsp of minced garlic, another 1 tbsp of butter, I threw in some mushrooms, I also had beef broth on hand instead of vegetable or chicken. I replaced 1 cup of broth with white wine, and used 1/2 cup of sherry at the end instead of the broth. I think the wines deepened the flavor. I served with a crostini. This would be an amazing fall dish on a breezy night. Mmmm!
I really like this soup. I add cubed chicken or turkey and 1 cup shredded zucchini to the recipe.
we can't wait until the tomatos ripen in the garden since i discovered this soup several years ago
We make this recipe or one just like it, all the time. We love it. I think "tomato soup" is a bit of misnomer though, it's more of a tomato based vegetable soup in our eyes. We too like to chunk some Chicken in it and the canned chicken from costco is perfect, just one can for this recipe is great.
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >