Garden Tomato Relish Recipe
What a great way to use your garden harvest—and have a tasty relish on hand for hotdogs, hamburgers and other dishes. Why not share a jar with a friend or neighbor? —Kelly Martel, Tillsonburg, Onario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/2 hours + simmering Process: 20 min. YIELD:160 servings
- 10 pounds tomatoes
- 3 large sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 4-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add tomatoes, a few at a time; boil for 30 seconds. Drain and immediately place tomatoes in ice water. Drain and pat dry; peel and finely chop. Place in a stockpot. Add onions and peppers.
- 2. Place mustard and celery seed on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add spice bag and the remaining ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 60-75 minutes or until slightly thickened. Discard spice bag.
- 3. Carefully ladle relish into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process in boiling-water canner for 20 minutes. Yield: 10 pints.
2 tablespoons equals 20 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC