- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Roll in flour. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Combine the tomatoes, carrots, pepper and onion. Pour over meatballs. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Garden's Plenty Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p40
Reviews for Garden's Plenty Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2011
"You don't taste the applesauce in the meatballs, it just keeps them from drying out. I was surprised by how much I appreciated the flavor and texture of the vegetables in there."