Garden's Plenty Meatballs Recipe
This is a wonderful dish to take to a potluck dinner...you're certain to come home with an empty dish. My sister shared the recipe with me several years ago. - Lyn Hook, PIcton, Ontario
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Roll in flour. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Combine the tomatoes, carrots, pepper and onion. Pour over meatballs. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Garden's Plenty Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p40
Reviews for Garden's Plenty Meatballs(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2011
You don't taste the applesauce in the meatballs, it just keeps them from drying out. I was surprised by how much I appreciated the flavor and texture of the vegetables in there.