This relish recipe from a friend is similar to giardiniera only sweeter. I have a certain sense of pride when giving jars as gifts knowing all the vegetables were raised in my own garden.—Linda Chapman, Meriden, Iowa
Recommended: 22 Pickled Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large onions, cut into wedges
- 3 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 6 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 cups cut fresh green beans (2-inch lengths)
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 6 cups sugar
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- 1/4 cup celery seed
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, peppers and canning salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain; place in a stockpot. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Carefully ladle hot mixture into 11 hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 11 pints.
Originally published as Garden's Harvest Pickles in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p211
Reviews forGarden's Harvest Pickles
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2013
"We make this type of mixture also, but, I think there might be a mistake here! Is there no water in this recipe?"