- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the wine, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.)
- Add the spinach, peas, cheese and reserved asparagus; cook and stir until heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Garden Risotto
"This was a good recipe. I think next time I will add more cheese and serve the asparagus as a side. Easy to make just labor intensive with all the stirring. It tasted great."