Garden Risotto Recipe
With asparagus, spinach and peas, this simple side adds spectacular flavor and tons of health benefits from green veggies. Add some Parmesan cheese, and you've got one delectable dish! —Kendra Doss, Kansas City, Missouri
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the wine, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.)
- Add the spinach, peas, cheese and reserved asparagus; cook and stir until heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Garden Risotto in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p42
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Garden Risotto(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 19, 2010
My family all enjoyed it and left overs were great heated up for lunch at work. A few co-workers want the recipe already!
More Recipe Collections
- Asparagus Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Rice Side Dish Recipes >