Garden Potato Pancakes Recipe
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Oil for frying
- Cracked black pepper and sour cream, optional
- 1. In a strainer or colander, drain zucchini, squeezing to remove excess liquid. Pat dry. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, flour, salt, pepper and basil until blended. Stir in onion, potato, carrot, corn, cheese and zucchini.
- 2. In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Working in batches, drop vegetable mixture by 1/3 cupfuls into oil; press to flatten slightly. Fry 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. If desired, sprinkle with cracked pepper and serve with sour cream. Yield: 12 pancakes.
2 pancakes (calculated without sour cream) equals 269 calories, 20 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Garden Potato Pancakes
"Excellent taste! I used 1 medium Zucchini to 2 medium potatoes & 3 medium carrots. I left out the corn because I did not have any. We absolutely loved these! Excellent taste combo. I did have some issues getting them crisp & I think I would do oven fried next time. But ohhh what a lovely taste! Thanks for the excellent recipe!"
"These are really good and freeze well too. The only changes I made was adding a generous dash of garlic powder and instead of frying, cooked them on our George Foreman Grill sprayed with Pam for Grilling. Done in no time and saved calories that frying would have added."
"I wonder if you could do these in the oven and avoid frying?"
"These were very good.. Added some garlic and parsley. Also added some grated parmesan cheese. Will make again."
"It's a good thing I "over estimated"'what I needed as these were gone very quickly. A nice twist on potato pancakes"
"My family liked this, but we would prefer a more even ratio of potatoes to zucchini. The amounts of corn and carrot were fine."
"Very tasty! I only had one zucchini and parm instead of cheddar, but this tasted great and came together well. Made too much for a family of four though, would cut in half next time, esp since they are fried in oil."
"I changed it up JUST a little - no onion (but used onion powder) added some garlic powder and used cheddar/jack and parmesan cheeses instead.. but LOVED it! Will definitely make this one again!"
"These must be tiny zucchini... Mine were larger (I guess) and needed 3 more potatoes, another carrot, and another egg to fill out the color. We couldn't taste the cheese, so we will leave it out next time. Took over an hour to cook everything though."
"Used a broccoli salad mix, amazing."
"Awesome..forgot to give you stars.."
"I have been a chef for over 15+ years and I tried these out for a sunday brunch..they were fabulous and ent over very well..I added a few more ingredients but overall excellent.!!! Kudos:)"