Garden Pork Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound lean boneless pork
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup julienned celery
- 1 cup julienned green pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup julienned yellow squash
- 1 cup julienned zucchini
- 1 package (6 ounces) frozen snow peas
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. Cut pork into 1/8-in. x 1/2-in. x 2-in. strips; set aside. Drain juice from pineapple into a medium bowl; set pineapple aside. Add soy sauce, ginger, garlic and pepper sauce to juice; mix well. Add pork; cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- 2. With a slotted spoon, transfer pork to a large skillet coated with cooking spray. Brown pork over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; add marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until pork is tender.
- 3. Add celery, carrots, green pepper and onion. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add mushrooms, squash, zucchini, peas and pineapple; cook for 1-2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-1/3 cups serving (prepared with light soy sauce and without rice) equals 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit; also, 201 calories, 227 mg sodium, 45 mg cholesterol, 18 gm carbohydrate, 20 gm protein, 6 gm fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.