Garden Patch Cake Recipe
This moist cake combines shredded zucchini, carrots and beets with chocolate chips for a deliciously different dessert. It's a sweet reward for the time you spent weeding and watering your garden. -Kimberly Speta, Kennedy, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + drying Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely shredded beets
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- GARDEN PATCH CAKE DECORATING:
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 7 wooden craft or Popsicle sticks (4-1/2 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking cocoa
- Red, yellow, orange and green liquid or paste food coloring
- Pastry tips - #5 and #10 round, #67 leaf and #20 star
- 5 pastry bags or small heavy-duty resealable plastic bags
- 1. In a large bowl, beat oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in vegetables. Add chips and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2. For frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in refrigerator.
- 3. Editor's Note: See below for decorating frosting recipe and directions.
- 4. GARDEN PATCH CAKE DECORATING:
- 5. In a bowl, cream shortening, extracts and salt. Gradually beat in sugar alternately with milk until smooth and stiff. Cover with a wet paper towel and plastic wrap until ready to use.
- 6. TO MAKE TRELLIS:
- 7. Lay 5 craft or Popsicle sticks on a sheet of waxed paper with 1/4 in between bottom of sticks (ends that are inserted into cake) and 1/2 in. between tops. Spread back side of remaining sticks with frosting; position across the 5 sticks 1 in. and 2 in. down from the top. Allow to dry, about 1 hour. Press bottom of sticks into upper left corner of cake.
- 8. TO MAKE GARDEN PATCH:
- 9. Using a toothpick, mark a 5-1/2-in. x 3-1/2-in. patch in lower right corner. Lightly sprinkle with cocoa and gently press into cake.
- 10. TO MAKE VEGETABLES AND BORDER:
- 11. Cut a small hole in corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #10 round tip. Combine 1/4 cup frosting and red food coloring; fill bag. Holding bag straight up and down, form 8-10 tomatoes in front of the trellis. Prepare another bag, inserting #5 round tip. Combine 1/2 cup frosting and yellow food coloring; fill bag. Using the same procedure, form rows of small dots to create kernel of 8-10 ears of corn in upper right corner. Wash #10 tip and insert into a third bag. Combine 1/2 cup frosting and orange food coloring; fill bag. Using the same procedure, form 3 rows of 4 carrots on the garden patch. Add green food coloring to remaining frosting. Prepare a fourth bag, inserting leaf tip; fill with some of the frosting. Form husks on edges of ears of corn; add stems and leaves to tomatoes and carrots. Add vines to trellis. Prepare a fifth bag, inserting the star tip; fill with remaining green frosting. Form a border around base and upper edge of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 720 calories, 36 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 191 mg sodium, 99 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC