Garden Paella Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add rice and garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the next nine ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- 2. Stir in the artichoke hearts, tomatoes, peas and corn; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1-2/3 cups) equals 359 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,254 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.