Garden Orzo Risotto Recipe
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute zucchini and shallot in oil until almost tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the orzo, broth and milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
- 2. Stir in the spinach, tomatoes and basil; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, salt and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup: 202 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Garden Orzo Risotto
"cooker69 Orzo is a pasta, you can find it with other pasta shapes in your local market. Risotto is typically an Italian rice dish made from Arborio rice, this recipe is an easy shortcut to a creamy side dish.When you cook with Arborio rice, it's a slower process. The rice is super starchy and you have to let it absorb liquid in stages to keep it from becoming a big clump.Hope that helps!"
"so sorry this is not a review, but TOH does not have a question section . What is the differance between arborio rice ,orzo,and risotto?"
"Yum! Very good! I doubled the recipe and used chicken broth instead of vegetable. Creamy and full of flavor. I will definitely make this again!"
"I will make this recipe again! Easy to make and tastes great!"
"This was a nice side dish... Very colorful and eye appealing. Also easy to throw together."
"This was great. No leftovers!"
"This was so amazing. My non-vegetarian family did not have any complaints about it and ate seconds and thirds. I can't wait to make it again. I would add 3 cups of vegetable broth next time, not 2, to make it creamier!"
"I substituted chicken broth for the vegetable broth and it was excellent!"