- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- Additional dried marjoram, thyme, and rosemary, optional
- In a bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, marjoram, thyme and rosemary. In a saucepan over low heat, heat milk, water and 1/4 cup butter to 120°-130°. Pour over the dry ingredients. Add egg and blend well. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down. Divide into three equal portions. Shape each into a 28-in. rope. Braid ropes; pinch ends to seal. Tie braid into a knot. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown; cover with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Melt remaining butter; brush over bread. Sprinkle with additional herbs if desired. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Garden Herb Bread
Sort By :
"Very good and easy to make. My kids loved this bread, even my picky eaters."
"Fabulous! I added whole wheat flour & some minced garlic & onion. Also split it in to two smaller loaves. Great with a bowl of tomato soup!"
"So very good, will make again and soon."
"Loved this recipe! I used to be a professional chef and decided to try this recipe for a family birthday. Since I was in a hurry, with dinner preparations in full swing, I quickly looked over the ingredients and began. Did not put the salt in with the yeast (added it after the egg as sometimes the salt will kill the yeast) and I poured all into my mixer with dough hook and blended and kneaded it in my mixer. The dough was not doubled in 1/2 hour - closer to 1 hour. And I used 2 Tablespoons of Italian Seasoning instead of the other herbs since I was in a hurry. Also, I didn't remove aluminum foil until the timer went off at 30 minutes - removed and cooked until golden which was probably another 10 minutes. Beautiful and delectable. Will definitely make this easy braided herb bread again. Great presentation and fun to break bread and dip in olive oil/ground pepper/rosemary."
"I love how quickly this bread comes together. I frequently add the herbs that I am using in the main dish, and it is a perfect compliment. Use up to 2 cups whole wheat flour instead of AP. Here's my blog post about it: http://www.everydayhomecook.com/2012/11/garden-herb-bread/"