Garden Green Beans
Diane Hixon of Niceville, Florida uses garlic and Italian seasoning to dress up green beans straight from the garden. "This fast flavorful side dish is frequently on the menu for special occasions," she relates.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion, optional
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute mushrooms, onion if desired and garlic
- in oil until tender. Stir in water chestnuts and seasonings; heat
- through. Drain beans and stir into skillet. Sprinkle with Parmesan
- cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared without salt) equals 38 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable.