Diane Hixon of Niceville, Florida uses garlic and Italian seasoning to dress up green beans straight from the garden. "This fast flavorful side dish is frequently on the menu for special occasions," she relates.
- 4 cups cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion, optional
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute mushrooms, onion if desired and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in water chestnuts and seasonings; heat through. Drain beans and stir into skillet. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Garden Green Beans in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p56
Reviews for Garden Green Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review