Garden-Fresh Spaghetti Recipe
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepepr
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 15 cups sauce.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 62 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 271 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.