Garden-Fresh Spaghetti Recipe
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepepr
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 15 cups sauce.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 62 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 271 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Garden-Fresh Spaghetti
"This spaghetti sauce has been my go to recipe from the time it was published in the TOH Sept./Oct. 2000 issue. I've made it for numerouse people and I am always complimented on how awesome it is! One person told me it's like eating at an italian restaurant. Thank you Sue Yaeger of Boone,Iowa for sharing your recipe! Guess what we're having for dinner tonight?"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.