Garden-Fresh Pizza Sauce Recipe
This sauce is so healthy because of all the vegetables in it," writes Helen Lipko of Martinsburg, Pennsylvania. "I freeze it in 1-cup portions so it's always on hand for quick pizzas."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion and peppers in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, oregano, garlic powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until sauce reaches desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in pepper; cook 5 minutes longer. Spread desired amount over a pizza crust, or cool and then refrigerate or freeze. Sauce may be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 6 cups.
3 tablespoons equals 25 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 vegetable.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC