This easy-to-fix bruschetta can be served as an appetizer or as a colorful side dish. —Rachel Garcia, Fort Knox, Kentucky
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 14 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- Rub cut side of garlic over one side of each slice of bread. Place
- bread garlic side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at
- 350° for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, oil, minced basil, salt
- and pepper; spoon about 2 tablespoons onto each piece of toast. Top
- each with a basil leaf. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 203 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 436 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.