- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 14 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- Rub cut side of garlic over one side of each slice of bread. Place bread garlic side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, oil, minced basil, salt and pepper; spoon about 2 tablespoons onto each piece of toast. Top each with a basil leaf. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Garden-Fresh Bruschetta
"I made this recipe for the Fourth of July, and it was fantastic. When my roommate and I ran out of French bread, we ate it with wavy potato chips instead! This makes it a great gluten-free snack or lunch for the future. I can't wait to use actual fresh basil from my garden when it's ready to be picked, and I'll probably try adding minced garlic as well. A very delicious recipe I will make many times over."
"Yummy! Add more flavor by mixing 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar and 1/2 tsp sugar with the olive oil before tossing with the tomato mixture."
"Simple, fresh and yummy...sure you could add other ingredients but if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;o)"
"I finely mince the garlic and mix it in with the tomatoes, onion and basil. Fresh and excellent!"
"I tryed it and I thouht it was awesome"
"A good, easy recipe to use up the many tomatoes I have this year. I added some parmesan cheese on top one time, and another time I topped with shredded gruyere. Thanks!"
"As usual, I modify the recipe to suit our taste. I add finely chopped veggies that I have on hand, (cucumber, green pepper, onion...) I have never tried baked/broiled, bruschetta, I cook mine in some margarine in a skillet. Then add the toppings..."
"I used New York Style Frozen Ciabbatta Loaves & grilled it on the pit first for a few min. then topped with this stuff & sprinkled freshly grated parm. cheese on top. It was do devine!!!!"
"I crush the garlic and add to the bowl with other ingredients.It is fine even without the basil leaf on top.Have made this for years-one of my favorites. Usually serve it as a cookout appetizer."
"Fantastic!!Very fresh and very easy to make! Just delicious!"