Garden Focaccia Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 2. Using your fingertips, press indentations in the dough. Brush with oil; sprinkle with rosemary and thyme. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, onion and garlic. Spread over crust. Top with mushrooms, tomatoes and zucchini; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 4. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 20 slices.
One slice (prepared with reduced-fat cream cheese) equals 109 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.