Garden Cucumber Tomato Salad
This recipe comes from my husband's great-grandmother. It's especially good with ripe tomatoes from the garden, but drained canned tomatoes may also be used.Maxine Foreman, Columbus, Nebraska
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a serving bowl, combine the tomatoes, green pepper, cucumber and
- onions. Sprinkle with sugar; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Stir in water, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 2
- hours. Stir; serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 40 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.