My family loves to eat, so I'm encouraged to spend lots of time in the kitchen! Featuring garden-fresh produce, this chowder quickly disappears both at home and at potlucks.
Featured In: 26 Ways to Eat Asparagus This Spring
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add tomato, broccoli, carrots, corn and zucchini; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add cream and cheese; heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Garden Chowder in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p31
Reviews for Garden Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review