- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 cups spring mix salad greens
- For dressing, in a dry small skillet, toast cumin seeds over medium heat until aromatic, stirring frequently. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in tomato, lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a bowl, combine chickpeas, carrot, zucchini, green onions, parsley, radishes, cheese and walnuts. Stir in 1/3 cup dressing.
- To serve, divide greens between two plates; top with chickpea mixture. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Garden Chickpea Salad
"This delicious salad was republished in the April May issue of Country Woman, and as soon as I saw it I knew it would be a winner on my table. Other than omitting the walnuts I made it exactly as stated, and would not change a thing.. unless, you like an extra kick, as some of the other reviewers mentioned."
"Really enjoyed this.....I like a bit of kick to my food so just added a little hot sauce to the vinaigrette, also cut back on the olive oil. Served the feta separate as the kids don't care for it."
"For a little "kick" I added a 2 tablespoons of Melinas "Pepperino" to the olive oil"
"GREAT salad! I doubled the chickpea amount and had a great meatless main dish salad."
"Garden chickpea salad is a family favourite in our home and one we make when we have company coming or just want a simple meal. It tastes so good, we don't usually change much, just the flavour is about all. It's a keeper and definitely going in my recipe box."