Garden Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1. For dressing, in a dry small skillet, toast cumin seeds over medium heat until aromatic, stirring frequently. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in tomato, lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper.
- 2. In a bowl, combine chickpeas, carrot, zucchini, green onions, parsley, radishes, cheese and walnuts. Stir in 1/3 cup dressing.
- 3. To serve, divide greens between two plates; top with chickpea mixture. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving: 492 calories, 38g fat (6g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 619mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 12g protein .
Reviews for Garden Chickpea Salad
"Wonderful! I used a small amount of ground cumin instead. The dressing has a bit of "zip" without overpowering sensitive taste buds."
"Just delicious. I used only 1/2 of the parsley and substituted cilantro for the other half. Fast and easy."
"This delicious salad was republished in the April May issue of Country Woman, and as soon as I saw it I knew it would be a winner on my table. Other than omitting the walnuts I made it exactly as stated, and would not change a thing.. unless, you like an extra kick, as some of the other reviewers mentioned."
"Really enjoyed this.....I like a bit of kick to my food so just added a little hot sauce to the vinaigrette, also cut back on the olive oil. Served the feta separate as the kids don't care for it."
"For a little "kick" I added a 2 tablespoons of Melinas "Pepperino" to the olive oil"
"GREAT salad! I doubled the chickpea amount and had a great meatless main dish salad."
"Garden chickpea salad is a family favourite in our home and one we make when we have company coming or just want a simple meal. It tastes so good, we don't usually change much, just the flavour is about all. It's a keeper and definitely going in my recipe box."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.