Looking for a great summer dish with a difference? This refreshing salad is great on the side or as a luncheon salad. To make it an entree, add sliced, cooked chicken or lamb. —Sally Sibthorpe, Shelby Township, Michigan
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 cups spring mix salad greens
- For dressing, in a dry small skillet, toast cumin seeds over medium heat until aromatic, stirring frequently. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in tomato, lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a bowl, combine chickpeas, carrot, zucchini, green onions, parsley, radishes, cheese and walnuts. Stir in 1/3 cup dressing.
- To serve, divide greens between two plates; top with chickpea mixture. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Garden Chickpea Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2009, p32
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Garden Chickpea Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review