- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine green peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, broth, wine, garlic, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Garden Chicken Cacciatore
"Was easy to prepare but tasted a little bland. Added some chilli powder, chicken stock powder and a little sugar to boost the flavour. Was still missing something. Still, we enjoyed it. Would have this again. Our fussy 12yo gave this a 10! That's a winner on its own! Thank for a lovely recipe."
"Made as the recipe says, served over egg noodles. Took to a potluck dinner, delicious !"
"I used vegetarian chicken cutlets instead of the chicken thighs; and I served them on croissants for lunch. Very delicious. Thanks, Martha, for sharing this recipe."
"I can only rate this recipe on the ingredients and the easy directions, since I have not yet made it - but it sounds very tasty. I'll definitely make this on a busy day. Twelve servings you say? Not as far as my guys are concerned (LOL)! : )"
"Really good, easy, and economical. Family loved it! Prepared as written."