Here’s the perfect Italian meal to serve company. While simmering, it frees you up to visit with your guests and always receives rave reviews! I like to serve it with hot cooked pasta, a tossed salad and a dry red wine. Mangia! —Martha Schirmacher, Sterling Heights, Michigan
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine green peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, broth, wine, garlic, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Garden Chicken Cacciatore in Healthy Cooking October/November 2011, p33
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Garden Chicken Cacciatore
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review