Garden Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine green peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, broth, wine, garlic, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Garden Chicken Cacciatore(8)
Sort By :
was just ok
The sauce was very tasty; my husband thought the chicken (I used chicken breasts cut in half) was pretty bland. It is a very diabetic-friendly recipe. I cut down on the salt because I didn't use sodium-reduced chicken broth and found that the chicken itself needed a little salt. Instead of serving this over pasta, as the recipe creator did, I served it over Zucchini Fritters, also a Taste of Home recipe. That kept the carb count down and it was a nice combo.
Can not understand why certain ingredients go into a dish while chicken goes into crock pot. I am confused?
This was pretty good. I like dark meat and my husband likes white meat, so we had a combination of the two. I loved both. I would suggest adding a little crushed red pepper though. We sprinkled some on our chicken when we got seconds :)
I used chicken breasts cut in half instead of thighs. If you have leftovers, shred the chicken up and serve the mixture over rice.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Cacciatore >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >