Garden Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine green peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, broth, wine, garlic, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Garden Chicken Cacciatore(9)
Sort By :
I cut this down to only make 2 servings and made it in our 1 quart crockpot today. I used chicken breasts to make it lighter. The meat just feel apart. My husband really enjoyed it. This dish pairs really well with brown rice.
was just ok
The sauce was very tasty; my husband thought the chicken (I used chicken breasts cut in half) was pretty bland. It is a very diabetic-friendly recipe. I cut down on the salt because I didn't use sodium-reduced chicken broth and found that the chicken itself needed a little salt. Instead of serving this over pasta, as the recipe creator did, I served it over Zucchini Fritters, also a Taste of Home recipe. That kept the carb count down and it was a nice combo.
Can not understand why certain ingredients go into a dish while chicken goes into crock pot. I am confused?
This was pretty good. I like dark meat and my husband likes white meat, so we had a combination of the two. I loved both. I would suggest adding a little crushed red pepper though. We sprinkled some on our chicken when we got seconds :)
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Cacciatore >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >