Garden Biscuits Recipe
“These flaky yeast biscuits—speckled with carrot, parsley and green onion—smell wonderful while baking. So it’s hard to resist eating one right from the oven,” notes Kerry Dority of Camdenton, Missouri.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:15 servings
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2. In a small saucepan, heat buttermilk and water to 120°-130°. Add buttermilk mixture, carrot, parsley and onion to yeast mixture; stir just until moistened.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until a soft dough forms, about 6-8 minutes. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 15 biscuits.
1 biscuit equals 147 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC