- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small saucepan, heat buttermilk and water to 120°-130°. Add buttermilk mixture, carrot, parsley and onion to yeast mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until a soft dough forms, about 6-8 minutes. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 15 biscuits.
Originally published as Garden Biscuits in Taste of Home October/November 2006, p46
Reviews for Garden Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 18, 2008
no mention of letting biscuits rise before baking. was this an error?