Garden Bean Salad Recipe
My mother gave me this crunchy bean salad recipe many years ago, and I often take it to covered-dish dinners. It looks especially attractive served in a glass bowl to show off the colorful vegetables. — Bernice McFadden, Eaton, Ohio.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chiliing YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) lima beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces)sliced pimientos, drained
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Drain all beans; place in a large bowl. Add the green pepper, celery, pimientos and green onions; set aside. Bring remaining ingredients to a boil in a heavy saucepan; boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately pour over vegetables.
- 2. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 178 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC