Garbanzo Salad Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large salad bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, celery, onion and cheese.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 117 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.