This chunky chilled soup is terrific in warm weather, but our family loves it so much I often prepare it in winter, too. I made some slight changes to suit our tastes, and the fresh flavorful combination has been a favorite ever since.
Mary Ann Gomez
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/4 cups V8 juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients; cover and refrigerate
- until serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 126 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 933 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.