Garbanzo Beans 'N' Rice Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini and oregano. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add the beans, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1/2 cup: 286 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 2 vegetable
Reviews for Garbanzo Beans 'N' Rice
"I make this exactly as written and my family gobbles it up! I've had this recipe in regular rotation for a few years now. It's an easy way to get my kid to eat his veggies!"
"My family loved this!"