Garbanzo Beans 'N' Rice
I love to use fresh vegetables from my garden in this delicious dish. My whole family loves the recipe.Michele Ridenour, Oswego, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini and oregano. Cover and cook for 4-6
- minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through.
- Serve over rice. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1/2 cup bean mixture with 1/2 cup rice) equals 286 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 445 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable,